Friday, March 8, 2019

Dating Panel Medallion Quilts

Quilt dated March 12, 1839, attributed to 
Margaret Elizabeth Black 
Museum at Texas Tech

The quilt above is the latest panel medallion in our files. One can see the new fashion for block-style albums influencing the look. After 1840 block styles predominated.

In the files we have 15 date-inscribed American quilts with panels ranging from 1818 to 1854.
The style change is obvious after 1840 when the central-focused medallions fade from fashion. Block-style quilts are easier to date than the medallions, which we find attributed to the years 1790 to 1850 in museum catalogs and other literature, often as "Ca. 1815."

Our database of  medallions with panels gives us a better guideline for dating them. When we arrange the ten quilts dated before 1840 in a timeline we see a cluster dated from 1828 to 1839 with the majority about 1833-34.


The narrowness of the time span is quite interesting and we will speculate more as to why these quilts were fashionable in such a short period in future posts. 

Dated 1830, attributed to Mary Green. 
Massachusetts Project & the Quilt Index

The database of American medallions indicates that a reasonable estimate for a similar, undated quilt is 1825-1840. Often the American quilts are dated by the English panel's printing as ca. 1815. As Merikay wrote in her AQSG paper: "The 'about 1815' date pertains only to the panel not the quilt....
the popularity of pre-printed panels increased in the United States as it waned in England."

When we add British medallion quilts to the timeline we see that British quiltmakers used panels earlier and for a longer period than Americans. This makes sense when we consider England as the source of the panel fabrics, which tend to be dated as "ca. 1815." We unfortunately do not have many records on when the mills produced the florals and garden scenes, but it is logical to assume that the three commemorative English panels below were printed in the years the event took place.

These three panels celebrate King George III's 50th anniversary in 1809-1810, Wellington's victory at the Battle of Vittoria in 1813 and Princess Charlotte's marriage in 1816, a good reason to date all the similar panels as about 1815 or 1810-1820.

When we add the date-implied commemorative panels to our timeline we see an overlap with the British quilts but a definite time lag with the American examples. Why? 
One more timeline:

When we add issues of trade such as embargoes, wars, tariffs on fabric and economic depressions to the American equation we see this cluster of  quilts is situated between two serious financial panics beginning in 1819 and 1837. The Napoleonic Wars about 1810-1815 had an enormous impact on fabric available in the U.S. Few shipments of English fabrics made it to U.S. shores at the height of  panel production in England. It seems the quilts grew out of a later abundance of panel fabric in a time of peace and prosperity.

"Quilt dated 1833
"Elizabeth Kimbrough Neil Brockinton, 
Presented by her mother, 9th Ap, 1833
Darlington Dist. So Ca."

This well-worn quilt in the Briscoe Center collection has four panels in the corners but the fabric is missing enough details that Merikay and curator Kate Adams could not figure out which panel it was.

Guidelines for dating panel quilts with a central focus:

English quilt dated 1839 in the quilting.
From Quilt Treasures of Great Britain

Central panel is the 1813 Wellington panel.
This is the latest English frame panel bedcover with a date we have found.

For British panel frame quilts: 1810-1835.
For American panel medallions: 1825-1840.

Undated quilt, Collection of the Charleston Museum,attributed 
by the family to Mary Withers Read (1790-1817), Georgetown, South Carolina

Mary Withers Read probably never saw this quilt as she died in 1817 at least a decade before it was likely made.

5 comments:

  1. Herbal medicine work like magic very active give it a try please help me share am very happy today thank you so much Dr.omo herbal home for bringing my life back, i never thought i would ever be cured of UTIs again due to the medical report i had from the hospital not until When God used Dr omo herbs and root in curing me of UTIs his herbes are very active no side effect Dr omo herbs are the best try some of his herbs and testify Inbox him on {dromo596@gmail.com} whatsapp no; [+2349033505260
    If you have any problem like
    Herpes 1/2 / cold sores,HSV 1&2 any type of disease / INFECTION
    Hiv/aids
    fibroids, blocked fallopian tubes
    yeast infection
    Cancer
    Hepatitis B
    Pregnancy issue, pcos , Als, Epilepsy LUPUS,THYROID
    Penis engagement/boobs.. whatsapp no; [+2349033505260
    his email: dromo596@gmail.com
    GOD BLESS YOU SIR

    ReplyDelete
  2. HOW I GOT CURED FROM HERPES VIRUS I was diagnosed of HERPES virus and i have tried all I can to get cured but all to no avail,,until I saw a post in a health forum about a herbalist man who prepare herbal medications to cure all kind of diseases including HERPES virus/Cancer,at first I doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try,when I contacted this herbalist via his email and he prepared a HERPES herbal cure and sent it to me via UPS delivery company service, when I received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by direction on how to apply it,after applying theUPS delivery company service, when I received this herbal medicine, he gave me step by direction on how to apply it,after using the herbal remedy way I was instructed,I was totally cured of this deadly disease called HERPES, all thanks to Dr Kokobi. Email kokobiherbalremedycentre@gmail.com for you own herpes cure now or WhatsApp him via +254746618873 HE CAN ALSO CURE SICKNESS LIKE
    {1}HIV/AIDS
    {2}DIABETES
    {3}EPILEPSY
    {4} BLOOD CANCER
    {5} HPV
    {6} ALS
    {7} HEPATITIS
    {8}LOVE SPELL
    {9} SICKLE AND ANAEMIA..
    or via whatsapp +254746618873

    ReplyDelete
  3. Powerful Herbal treatment is 100% guarantee for HSV cure, the reason why most people are finding it difficult to cure HSV 1 an 2 is because they believe on medical report, drugs and medical treatments which is not helpful to cure HSV and hasn't proved any sign of helping. Natural roots/herbs are the best remedy which can easily eradicate herpes forever. I never believed it until I was helped and cured of my 16 months genital herpes with natural herbal medicines from Dr oduku. Where other medical prescribed drugs and treatments failed, Dr oduku natural herbs helped saved me from Genital herpes permanently and I’m so grateful for this. You can also get help from this great and powerful Herbalist Dr oduku by reaching him on whatsApp +2348124765093 also EMAIL: drodukuherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com
    Dr Oduku is the best herbal doctor.
    Here is my private e-mail laurielkeene159@gmail.com you can also get in touch with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr oduku herpes treatment is one of the most effective home remedies for herpes which has the ability to kill the herpes virus permanently. I found out I had herpes 4 years ago. My first outbreak was definitely the worst thing I ever experienced. The bumps and blisters were swollen and red. I had a doctor give me Valtrex but I take the generic. I had to take the Valtrex 1 gram a day for about a week and I had another doctor prescribe me Acyclovir but that gave me the worst headaches ever, so I stopped taking it.after 2 year all that prove abortive the herpes was still there,
    Since I was first diagnosed I have about 2 outbreaks a month. I have been able to cope with this by having supportive family and friends who look out for me,though it wasn't easy for me, one day i read a post by someone testifying about Dr oduku that she was cured totally using his herbal product, i decided to gave it a try, I contacted him as instructed in the testimony. i made request for the herbal medicine, he actually did send it to me and gave me the instruction on how i will use it,
    The good news is this, i went to the hospital after the medication for test as instructed by Dr oduku, i was tested negative, i was surprised finding out that am now herpes virus negative against my former result which was positive, Am happy to let the whole world know that today am free from this herpes disease,
    no more outbreak, no more cold sores, excruciating pains, i will advice anyone reading this message  and needed a cure for herpes as well should please contact this Great Dr oduku on drodukuherbalhealingcentre@gmail.com or WhatsApp +2348124765093.
    visit his page https://www.facebook.com/Droduku/ or his tiktok.com/@drodukuhome
    am Rayshaunda kat here is my private email rankinsrayshaunda@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was an amazing blog, for our better understanding about the respective topic.
    Well honestly speaking this article is Pretty good moreover, I have really enjoyed reading your article. Buy Ielts Certificates Online ,I will also take the advantage to ask for your permission to join our TELEGRAM GROUP

    ReplyDelete